The Minor is currently comprised of three tracks – Business, Global Engineering Leadership, and Public Policy, offered through the Institute for Leadership and Social Impact at the Scheller College of Business, the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, and the School of Public Policy at the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts.
Students in the Minor are expected to complete an experiential exercise of leadership in either a professional internship (Global Engineering Leadership or Public Policy tracks), or in a project-based setting (Business track) with non-profit, corporate, governmental, social enterprise, or hybrid organizations. This unique experience allows students to apply their leadership skills to build capacity and create value for a partnering organization; particularly in circumstances where resources are limited.
Students make connections within the community and around the world, while developing their leadership competencies and gaining familiarity with new sectors and concepts.
Creating Impact Abroad - Leadership for Social Good
This program offers interested students the opportunity to gain insight into global civil society, to learn about the challenges of creating and leading effective and sustainable social enterprises, and to make a positive impact by working closely with a non-profit organization in Budapest, Hungary. It introduces students to the concept of "sustainable communities" and is affiliated with Serve-Learn-Sustain.
You need to have 30 completed hours at Georgia Tech and a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5.
- Business: 15 credits
- Public Policy: 15 credits
- Global Engineering Leadership: 18 credits
- Core Course: 3 credits (PUBP 4140 Foundations of Leadership)
- Internship (Gobal Engineering Leadership/Public Policy tracks) or Leadership Capstone Project (Business track): 3 semester hours
In order to be considered for the Minor in Leadership Studies, an application must be submitted. Applications are received and reviewed throughout the year. Response letters sent out a few weeks before registration begins for the fall, spring and summer semesters. Apply today by clicking on the button below.
Add to your technical skills
- Cohesive theoretical and practical program of study
- Inter-disciplinary team-based capstone project or professional internship
- Leadership Competency development through classroom interaction and experiential learning
- Annual leadership retreat that helps build teamwork skills outside the classroom, facilitating service-learning providing student networking opportunities
Distinguish yourself from your peers
- Gain familiarity with new sectors, concepts, and paradigms of thinking and leading
- Develop the ability to take informed risks and approach situations where there is more than one answer
- Shape versatile solutions to diverse problems
- Develop global awareness and cultural competence
- Engage with others who are trained and think differently from you; utilizing those differences and skills for maximum impact
- Create interesting stories to tell about yourself
Create Impact - Leadership for Social Good Study Abroad
This program offers interested students the opportunity to gain insight into global civil society, to learn about the challenges of creating and leading effective and sustainable social enterprises, and to make a positive impact by working closely with a non-profit organization in Budapest, Hungary. The program offers 12 business credits that apply to the Business Track for the Leadership Minor. Explore the program's website and read about the career impact of the program to learn more.
Global Engineering Track
Complete a Work, Research, Study or Service-Learning Experience
La Paz, Bolivia
- Spring 2023
- Sustainable Transportation Abroad (CEE 4660)