1. Is leadership a specialized role within an office, department, team or other group, OR is it a shared influence process that occurs naturally within a social system and is diffused within any members?
2. Is leadership more of a cognitive, rational process OR do the emotional and value-based aspects of leadership account for more of the influence process of leadership?
3. Should all good managers be good leaders OR are these two roles incompatible with one another?
4. Is the effectiveness of the leader measured more by the effectiveness of the group OR is it more connected to the advancement of the leader?
5. Pick any one of the following approaches and argue that it is more useful in defining, describing and explaining leadership than the other approaches: trait, behavior, power, situational, OR contingency approach.
6. Pick any one of these levels of conceptualizing leadership and argue that it is the most important and useful for defining, describing and explaining leadership: intra-individual, dyadic, group, OR organizational.
7. Does a universal theory of leadership exist that applies to all leadership situations OR do some aspects of leadership apply to some situations but not to others?
8. Should leadership decisions be made in more of a top-down formal process OR should decisions be based on a bottom-up political process?
9. Does leadership style remain fixed for leaders OR do the effective leaders change their leadership approach depending on the situation?
10. Is it more important for the leader to focus on building friendly, supportive and consultative relationships with their followers OR is it more important for the leader to initiate organizational structure, maintain standards of performance, and insure that followers are following policies and procedures?
11. Which is more important to leader: the relationship with the followers OR getting the job (task) done?
12. Are certain leadership traits optimal for all situations OR do different situations require different attributes?
13. Pick one of the two orientations — task OR relationship — and argue that it is the most important orientation for leaders.
14. The most important measure of a leader is the performance of the followers OR leaders are most effective when their followers are satisfied?
15. Which of these three elements of leadership is most important: goal achievement, smooth internal processes OR external adaptability?
16. Leadership approaches should OR should not vary according to the ethnic culture of the followers?
17. Pick one of Hofstede's five cultural dimensions and argue that it explains the most important cultural distinction between the USA and most other countries around the world.
18. Which is most important for organizational effectiveness: that the organization has transactional OR transformational leadership?
19. The leader is the most important factor in determining the outcome of the group’s performance OR the followers are more likely to determine the outcome of the group's performance.
20. The most important leadership trait is integrity OR competence?
21. Women tend to have a distinct leadership style, with more attention on the relationship, OR once women rise to the level of senior leadership, they take on more qualities of men?