"I love coaching because it not only gives me the opportunity to make a significant contribution in the lives of my coachees, but it has helped me understand more about myself." - Federico Pulvirenti, 6th Year PhD Student in Chemistry
The Leadership Education and Development (LEAD) Office, a department within the Division of Student Life, has created a leadership-based fellows program for Georgia Tech Master's, Ph.D. students, faculty, staff, and alumni who have an interest in learning to develop others and would like to become a leadership coach for Georgia Tech students.
The purpose of the Leadership Fellows Program is to enable faculty, staff and graduate students at Tech to serve as leadership coaches for Georgia Tech students. Leadership Fellows will be professionally trained in leadership and coaching, earn a $3,000 stipend (Master's/Ph.D students) or recognition (Faculty/Staff/Alumni), and be expected to give four to five hours per week of time to the coaching process.
Fellows will sharpen and enhance their existing leadership and coaching skills by assisting in the development of GT students who are also eager to improve their leadership abilities. Fellows will also have the opportunity to learn from their peers at regular training sessions. In this environment Fellows will be able to actively reflect on their own previous leadership experiences and identify areas of improvement within themselves while coaching others. The reason for becoming a Leadership Fellow is quite simple: Develop yourself while developing others.
What are we looking for in a Leadership Fellow?
- Demonstrate a distinguished ability to lead others in either a volunteer, academic, or professional environment
- Demonstrate a commitment to the coaching and development of young leaders
- Be willing to commit as many as four to five hours per week to program activities
- Be a Georgia Tech Master's or Ph.D. student, faculty/staff member, or alum
- Students: have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 and be in good academic standing
- Faculty/Staff: have approval from their supervisor to participate in the program
- Passion for developing others
- Relatable to others
Consider the following: Can you tell a compelling story? Do you have the ability to motivate others to overcome their fears and go beyond their comfort zone? Do you understand the importance of teamwork? Can you manage conflict well? Are you able to actively listen to others?
Interested in Applying?
Applications are now open for AY19-20
If you are interested in discussing this opportunity with us, please email email@example.com and we will setup a brief meeting.